Monday, October 15, 2007

Unlearning the Myths That Blind Us

Linda Christensen argues that basically that the "happily ever after" saying is annoying many people. She talks about alot of different things but one that struck me was racism beings early such as preschool. I never knew that. After i read this article. I looked back at where i work which is a daycare/preschool and i did notcied some of the things she pointed out. For example she said kids are exposed to misinformation about people different from ourselves. She means that kids say what they hear. An example would be that i was working with the kids at the preschool and i had a mixed group of 10 boys and girls. We just got in from playing outside so i was bringing them to the bathroom to wash their hands, mind you all of the childrens hands are dirty. I have this one colored girl in my group. As the colored girl and a white girl was washing thier hands the colored girl had dirt coming off her hands. Basically the white girl asked me why was her skin shedding? I was in complete shock and felt bad for the little girl of color becuase she was like "not huh it just dirt". I explained to the white girl that her skin is not shedding and it's just dirt coming off her hands. I also told her that her hands were dirty and everybody would have dirt coming off into the sink. I cant be mad at the girl who said that comment because she is only 4 years old and she doesnt really know whats "right from wrong" yet.
As i read down further into the article i noticed how the whole disney concept came up. I personally agree when the girl got mad about how their isnt a black, asian, hispanic cindrella. The perfect image of a cindrella they adress her to be is a white girl who is beautiful. Dont get me wrong, but there could be different girls of race that could fill that spot even though they arent white.But i think that would just defeat the whole purpose of a perfect life meaning cindrella and her prince. In many people's eyes they see if different. It's sad to say that people of color or a different race it's hard for them to get roles such as the lead role finding their perfect prince. When kenya and Sabrina justify that their should be more women of color in disney movies, supreme court, and scrubbing up for sugeries i agree with them, but basically it's not their choice when it comes down to it. I feel bad becuase there are other smarter people in the world besides "white people".

No comments: